Sunday, September 8, 2013

Laser Cut - Kate Moss

This was my second attempt at laser cutting. The first time I did this I failed. The scale all came out wrong due to one small problem. When I was exporting the dwg files from sketchup, you must make sure the camera is set to parallel projection. Mine was automatically set up in perspective mode and therefore my first model came out with the pieces which were all at the incorrect sizes. Nothing was lining up!
 
I did however succeed and figuring a little useful technique. I used the acrylic material for my windows. The first time I cut them I realised the laser took off a few millimetres and therefore would not fit nicely into my boxboard cut outs.
 
I then scaled the illustrator file for the acrylic from 100% to 101%. This made a huge difference and was able to slot in most pieces into my boxboard. Although some that did not fit required very little sanding and others required glue to hold in place. These were generally the smaller size cut outs.
 
After reading a few different transcript interviews with Kate Moss. I've learnt that Kate Moss has the great barrier reef on her bucket list. So I decided to incorporate an image of the reef into one side of the wall and have it etched in. This image covers right from her bedroom floor through to the cantilevered edge pool, right up to the ceiling of the top floor.
 










No comments:

Post a Comment